Thursday, July 12, 2012

Expecto Patronum

Expecto Patronum

I had a huge urge to shoot something one night (almost midnight) and I decided to go out to this little river nearby. I took my tripod, ND-filter and my very dusty kit-lens and sat myself on a rock in the middle of the stream. The original plan was to use the ND-filter, but it turned out to be dark enough (or too dark) without it so I didn't use it after all. The focusing was a big pain in the ass and I thought to myself that a flashlight would've been nice to have. Even though the Finnish summer nights are't dark at all, it was too dark for the camera, especially with the forest dimming all the sunlight. So, it was pretty much "a shot in the dark" - literally - focusing for this shot.

I used a 30 sec shutter speed and the aperture was about f/5 or something like that. Once I got the camera focused manually on something else than the rock in the foreground, I came up with an idea to capture more of the surroundings using a panorama technique. At home I was really surprised that photoshop was able to do such a great job stitching the random photos together as I didn't have a clue if I'd gotten anything proper while I was in the woods.

While editing the photo I thought it lacked something important and that's how my 'patronus' was born. I chose a wolf because it symbolizes loyalty and family centrism - two things that really hit hard with me.

Sorry for the boring report and for the rare updates here. I haven't had the time to shoot anything proper, but tomorrow I'm going to get a lovely couple in front of my camera, so I'll be posting the results as soon as possible! :) Thanks for sticking around anyways!!


No comments:

Post a Comment